Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Livestream highlights

Wow, first off, thanks so much everyone for an awesome chat! I had a lot of fun, and I hope you all enjoyed it too.

So, for those of you who didn't make it, here are a few key events that took place.

The synopsis for The Iron Knight was revealed! I shall post it for your viewing pleasure below. (Warning, possible spoilers for The Iron Queen.)










Ash, former prince of the Winter Court, gave up everything. His title, his home, even his vow of loyalty. All for a girl… and all for nothing.

Unless he can earn a soul.







To cold, emotionless faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing any gentler feelings the Winter prince might have had. Or so he thought.

Then Meghan Chase—a half human, half fey slip of a girl— smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer fey can survive.

With the (unwelcome) company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through to its end— a quest to find a way to honor his solemn vow to stand by Meghan’s side.

To survive in the Iron realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. At least, no one has ever passed to tell the tale.

And then Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that turns reality upside down, challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice


***


Also, some major announcements! Announcement numeral uno: Teaser Tuesdays are set to return in August, where I will be posting snippets about The Iron Knight, leading up to it's release in October. So keep checking back for those.

Announcement number two: I have a new series coming out! In the spring of 2012, the first book of my post apocalyptic vampire series will hit. The series is called Blood of Eden, and the first book will be titled The Immortal Rules.

Before I get to the last announcement, here is the excerpt I read today from The Iron Knight. Beware, this has major SPOILERS for The Iron Queen, so if you haven't read it yet, I would refrain until you have. But for the rest of you, here is the first Iron Knight teaser. Hope you enjoy. :)

***

My name, my full, True name, is Ashallayn’darkmyr Tallyn, and I am the last son of the Unseelie Court.

There were three of us at one time, all princes of Winter, myself and my brothers, Sage and Rowan. I never knew my sire, never cared to know him, nor did my siblings ever speak of him. I wasn’t even positive we shared the same sire, but it didn’t matter. In the Unseelie Court, Mab was the sole ruler, the one and only queen. Handsome fey and even wayward mortals she might take to her bed, but Mab shared her throne with no one.

We were never close, my brothers and I. As princes of Winter, we grew up in a world of violence and dark politics. Our queen only encouraged this, favoring the son who earned her good graces while punishing the others. We used each other, played vicious games against one another, but we were all loyal to our court and our queen. Or so I’d thought.

There is a reason the Winter Court freezes out their emotions, why feelings are considered a weakness and a folly among the Unseelie fey. Emotion corrupts the senses, makes them weak, makes them disloyal to kith and court. Jealousy was a dark, dangerous passion that ate at my brother Rowan until he did the unthinkable and turned on his court, betraying us to our enemies. Sage, my eldest sibling, fell to Rowan’s treachery, and he was only the first. In a bid for power, Rowan sided with our greatest enemies, the Iron fey, helping their king nearly destroy the Nevernever. I killed Rowan in the end, avenging Sage and the rest of my kin, but retribution cannot bring either of them back. It’s only me, now. I am the last, the only remaining son of Mab, Queen of the Unseelie Court.

And I’m already dead to her.

Rowan was not the only one to succumb to emotion and passion. My fall began, as many stories do, with a girl. A girl named Meghan Chase, the half-human daughter of our ancient rival, the Summer King. Fate brought us together, and despite everything I did to shield my emotions, despite the laws of our people and the war with the Iron Fey and the threat of eternal banishment from my home, I still found myself falling for her. Our paths were woven together, our fates intertwined, and before the last battle I swore I would follow her to the end of the world, to protect her from all threats, including my own kin, and to die for her if called to do so. I became her knight, and would have gladly served this girl, this mortal who had captured my heart, until the last breath left my body.

But Fate is a cruel mistress, and in the end, our paths were forced apart, as I feared they would. Meghan became the Iron Queen, as was her destiny, and took the throne in the kingdom of the Iron fey. A place I could not follow, not as I am—a faery creature whose essence weakens and burns at the touch of iron. Meghan herself exiled me from the lands of the Iron fey, knowing that staying would kill me, knowing I would try anyway. But before I left, I swore an oath that I would find a way to return, that someday we would be together, and nothing would separate us again. Mab tried to convince me to return to the Winter Court—I was her only prince now, and it was my duty to come home—but I bluntly stated that I was no longer part of the Unseelie Court, that my service to her and Winter was at an end.

There is nothing more terrible than a spurned faery queen, particularly if that was the second time you’d defied her. I escaped the Winter Court with my life intact, but just barely, and I won’t be returning any time soon. Regardless, I feel little regret at turning my back on my queen, my kith, and my home. That part of my life is done. My loyalty, and my heart, belongs to another queen now.

I promised I’d find a way for us to be together. I intend to keep that promise. Even if it means trekking through a sprawling, deadly marsh in search of a rumor. Even if it means putting up with my fiercest and most annoying rival, Robin Goodfellow who—despite all his attempts to hide it—is in love with my queen as well. I don’t know why I haven’t killed him yet. Maybe because Puck is Meghan’s closest friend, and she would mourn him terribly if he were gone (though I can’t understand why). Or, maybe, deep down, I’m tired of being alone.

In any case, it matters little. With every ruin we search, every dragon we slay or every rumor we unearth, I’m one step closer to my goal. Even if it takes a hundred years, I will be with her in the end. Another piece of the puzzle lurks somewhere in this dreary swampland. The only difficulty lies in finding it.


***


Okay, and now for the last announcement.

Also coming in 2012, there will be a SECOND IRON FEY TRILOGY. This is for all the Iron Fey fans out there, whom I'm forever grateful for. This series, set several years after the events of the first, will star an older Ethan Chase, Meghan's brother. Yep, Ethan is getting his own adventure, so be sure to be on the lookout for that. :D

And, that's it! If you missed the livestream event and want to see it, you can still catch the recorded version here. Warning though: I have squinty eyes and sound like a chipmunk, so don't say I didn't warn you, lol!

Thanks again everyone!

Julie


ETA: OH, I forgot to mention this! The Iron Knight is up on Netgalley. now, so hurry on over and request a download. :D Ash is waiting. ;-)

29 comments:

  1. Love it! Thank you Julie for doing the live chat! I was at work watching it, told my co worker to take all calls while I watched one of my favorite author's online.

    BTW Is there going to be an Iron Knight countdown widget? I would love to put one at my blog site ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the livestream, exciting news! Cannot Wait! One tiny little question.....will Ash, Meghan, and Puck be a part of Ethan's adventures? Just curious of course. Thanks for writing a series I absolutely love! Cannot wait to read the new vampire series as well, thanks again!
    Saundra from Kentucky

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love reading Ash's POV; I love his voice. And I love that we finally get to know what goes on behind that icy exterior and how he see's things with those predatory silver eyes. This is definitely one of the books I'm most excited to read this year. You are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so very excited for all this news!! I decided to skip what you read from Iron Knight. I can't handle teasers, I get too anxious, lol But whoot only a few more months before I can get my Puck fix!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed the live chat, but I came home and immediately watched it. You don't sound chipmunky at all, don't worry. I'm sooo glad you posted the excerpt, as I couldn't hear it so clearly. :D
    By the way, I'm really excited for the vampire books, and I'm seriously going isane about the Ethan books. It's been several hours since I first heard the news, and, as I type this, I'm struggling not to squee really loudly.
    *squees*
    Woops. Well, we didn't need that window anyway.
    *squees*
    Or that one.
    *wanders away, whistling*


    *digs into teaser*
    Yay! You finally mention Ash's father! (Or 'sire', and that makes him melty.)
    "Or, maybe, deep down, I'm tired of being alone." *falls over*


    *tries really hard not to squee* *fails*
    *shattering can be heard throughout NYC*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see what you have in store for Ethan and what kind of story awaits in Blood of Eden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel guilty for leaving Puck out of my squee:
    <3Puck<3 <3Puck<3 <3Puck<3

    FYI Julie, I have a new book-related swear word: Oh Robin Goodfellow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sooooo cant wait!! i must say I admire your work. You are so talented and amazing!!! when i first got the book i was torn between trying something new ( The Fey series) or reading Rick Riordan's new series. i had but his in the basket but off of impulse i quickly made the switch and am soooo glad i did!! These books are by far my favorite books i have EVER reaad!! beats Twilight and all others!! i cried on the last one and just so i could finish it i had to read it out loud lol. i am sooooo exited for the Iron Knight and cant possibly bear the wait.... also excited about a new series from you!! plus another Fey series but from Ethan's adventures!!! love love love the books!!! plus excited for more puck and ash!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm quite glad to hear about a second trilogy. Kind of like "Return to Labyrinth", only I'm sure yours will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. SO happy to hear about the new series and the spin-off!! Woohoo! I've got my copy of TIK from NetGalley and will start it after I read Summer's Crossing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. THUD!!!! That's me hitting the floor!!! WOW!!! Goose bumps!!! I am sooooo excited! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is AWESOME!! I can't wait to read the new series about Meghan's brother and read The Iron Knight! And thank you so much for the teaser, it's epic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I teared up with that teaser. Ohmigoodness. Poor, poor Ash! *sobs*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Way to knock it out of the park Julie! Excited on all fronts for everything! Can't wait for the book and both the new series:) You made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I couldn't watch the livestream video properly. It kept on stopping and I couldn't download it either so I'm extremely glad you put up a post in your blog.

    First of all, I am of course very excited for a second Iron Fey trilogy! ^_____^ The way you write, Julie, is something quite unique. I kept looking for the elements your books have in other stories but I found none. I'm not sure I want to read about Ethan but anything to keep me glued to The Iron Fey, I'll take it. =)) I am super excited for Immortal Rules as well because I really LOVE reading vampire books and I'm sure this book is going to be an instant favorite of mine.

    I think I'm also going to skip the teasers because it's also partly spoilers, right? And I'm not requesting it in Netgalley 'cause I'm pretty sure they'd give me an e-book. Seriously, I printed Winter's Passage and Summer's Crossing. :O

    Anyway, I'm so excited for 2012!! <3 <3 <3 Immortal Rules will be out in Spring and...hm, will the second Iron Fey trilogy be out in Fall? I'm so excited!! But first things first. OCTOBER 25, 2011!! I LOVE that date!! Can't wait for The Iron Knight! >_<

    -Pamela Gabrielle ^_____^

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG Julie!!! You can't give me all this amazing juiciness at one time! My heart can't take it... Oh who am I kidding??!! LOVE IT!!!!<3

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved the teaser! October can't come any sooner. And I definitely can't wait for 2012. So many good books coming out that year! I'm so excited for your new series!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for posting the live chat.

    I missed it because I was TOO BUSY READING THE IRON KNIGHT. Oh, Julie, it's SO GOOD! I've been rereading almost every page over and over because I don't want it to end. Ash's POV is pure bliss!

    And thank you for writing so quickly to satiate us fangirls who need our Ash fix. Having all four books out in less than two years has been so delightful for us trying-to-be-patient-but-ultimately-unpatient fans. What an amazing feat!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is the first time I have ever commented on a blog of a author~ :3 Before I comment, I must brag to everyone that I stayed up till 3 AM reading the Iron Fey books. And finished all three books in less then 3 days~ >:3 I barely sleep now, it's taking it's toll on me but it's defiantly worth it :D~ Plus, I am a magical hobo, I can't lie nor I can put a beautiful book down. Enough of me typin' a waste of text space. So far, Ashy-poo's (yesh I am using his favorite nickname...) POV is very interesting and is a good change~ I have always wondered what goes on in his mind. But one big question, is Ash going to be a Fey still but with a soul and a mortal body. Or is he going to become mortal? But if he becomes mortal... He can't stay with Meggie because she is a faery iron queen now... This is such a tragic fairytale TTATT *sniffles and wipes tears with sleeve* Didn't Ashy-poo promise Meggie that he'd take her around Nevernever after it's all over?? Stupid Ashy-poo...

    Anyways! That's it from me. I may appear anonymous but I will be lurking around under your bed OwO. Just kidding, but I will be hanging around here. Sorry if I said anything offensive or impolite in any way. Or I just didn't make sense at all. I just tend to be like dat. Thanks~!


    ~the Magical Hobo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I also forgot. The new series about Ethan. It sounds freaking awesome~! :D I really wish to see what would happen to our favorite Ethan... He's got an adventure of his own! I wonder if he will meet his other two dads... I will defiantly read it. Plus I only finish books this fast for 3 different series. The Iron Fey is one of them. Just wanted to let ya know ;D ~

    ~the Magical Hobo

    ReplyDelete
  21. So.excited.

    For all of it! Post-apocalyptic vampires, Ethan awesomeness, and loads and loads of Ash. What could possibly be wrong with any of this? Congratulations on all the wonderful! Looking forward to it all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG I cant wait!!!! The whole time I was reading this, especially the teaser, I had to cover my mouth to keep from squealing and screaming! I love Ash and I know his story will be EPIC!
    I cant wait for the post-apocalyptic vamp books and the Ethan trilogy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ETHAN!!! IRON FEY SECOND SERIES!! TEASER TUESDAYS!!!I"M SO GLAD IRON FEY"S NOT GONNA END WITH IRON KNIGHT!!this is too much good news i can handle...i'm sorry but i'm going hyper right now :P thank you julie *bows down* i'm forever eternally grateful! iron feys up for another series! WOOOOOOOOOO!!! sorry if i seem crazy...:3

    ReplyDelete
  24. floppy:D maybe ethan will mention floppy:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. HI Julie
    I loved the books and was completely crushed when i heard that you'll only be writing 3 books about Megan and her journey it is really sad i was so mesmerized by the world that you've created with your writing just really sad that it only turned out to be three books and not stretched into 10 or 12 books but i'm really looking forward to the next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can't wait for The Iron Knight! <3 ash and puck can't chose between them. And i already know im going to read the second trilogy and can't wait to read about ethan, he was so adorable to me! ahhh can't wait! =) =) =)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Please consider my request in netgalley. I love the iron fey... I don't live in America though but my aunt's friend there introduced it to me and now a lot of my friends read it though they can't really find it in bookstores bu they love it

    ReplyDelete
  28. So love the series of the Iron Fey and will be definitely looking for more in the series of both Ethan and the vampire series. I still hope that someday the series will be turned into a movie series and that Julie will have a main part in it. Hopefully this second series will revisit Meghan and the fey world as well cause we know we'd all like to see how they are doing.


    On a side note though...why did Ash have to become mortal? Why couldn't he just become a half breed like Meghan, half Winter, half Iron. Is there even a way for the elite Fey to grant fey onto others? o.0 Anyways, looking forward to seeing the mysterious series as well as getting to know more about Ash's nonmortalness..mortalness..

    ReplyDelete